Rejuvenation and Restoration of Water body at Reliance Corporate Park, Mahape
Mahape, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra
Commissioned by – Reliance Corporate
Navi Mumbai is a city on the west coast of Maharashtra, and houses many international IT companies along with an active industrial belt. The current site is located at the Koparkhairne node within the Reliance Corporate Park. On a macro level the site is flanked by hilly terrain along the north- east side and the east. Water from various channels flowing down the terrain finally reaches the creek along the west that further meets the Arabian Sea . The lake has been created in the depression along one of the major nallas. The existing area of the lake is 32870 sq. mts or 3.3 ha with maximum lake depth of about 4 to 5 meters.
The dense development in the area has caused greater impacts on various environmental aspects, particularly the contamination of the lake and the existing water bodies. Massive algal bloom is observed all over the lake , clearly indicative of the pollutants entering the water. The proposal suggests methods to conserve the lake by implementing various ecological design strategies in order to reduce the negative environmental impacts. The prime objective of the study was to protect the lake from the invasive algal species which has hampered the other ecological processes in the lake.
Design concepts and strategies have evolved after research and documentation of the site extending from regional perspective to its immediate surroundings. The research aspects involved studying various causes that have contributed to the current status of the polluted lake water. Systematic phase wise remedial measures are required for the complete eradication of algae.
One of the major concerns is allowing the Nalla water directly in to the lake because of the quantum of water approaching the site area. Hence, a diversion channel is proposed along the lake, thus reducing the high quantum of the polluted water entering into the site.
On identifying each source of pollution from macro to micro scale, the following strategy is established in order to achieve the objective.
- Redesigning immediate surrounding landscape to build the required ecological connect and green corridors for the existing avifauna.
- Redesigning identified catchment areas that carry polluted or untreated water from the surface drains and other drainage lines in form of bio- filters or silt traps
- Redesigning water edge with various concepts such as wetland vegetation with water resistant species.
- Restoring the water quality within the lake through floating islands
- Proposing a 2 mld STP to maintain quality of water entering the lake
- Proposing R.C.C Tanks for tertiary treatment of water before entering the lake
- Bioremediation through appropriate technology to treat contaminated lake water